Thursday, May 27, 2010

Get out yer galoshes

I feel I have to ask the question: does anyone really pay attention to hurricane forecasts? The brain trust at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has predicted as many as 14 hurricanes for the coming season. Not that I need to dig up examples of shoddy government work, but when was the last time we had even ten actual hurricanes in a given year?

Meteorology is the only profession where you can be wrong a majority of the time and still keep your job. This being said, what makes us think that the same people who are unable to predict tomorrow's weather can come close to predicting storms as much as five months out?

Before I assume that most people are smart enough to know how ridiculous these predictions are, I guess I should pause. Most people think that the federal government has money, that politicians are acting in our best interest, and that those in power are immune to it's lure. On second thought, maybe I'm one of the few who scoffs at the NOAA.

Tanstaafl.

No comments: